What should Village of Golf residents do before a storm?
There are many things you can do to prepare for a storm. Some should be done long before a storm threatens our area. Other things should be done when a hurricane watch is issued.
Here are some suggested steps you can take now to help protect your family and home:
- MAKE SURE VILLAGE OF GOLF PUBLIC SAFETY HAS YOUR CURRENT CONTACT INFORMATION.
- In the event of a storm, Village personnel might need to contact you regarding your property. Please make sure your contact information is current. You can call the Village at: 561-732-0236.
- ARE YOU ON THE VILLAGE'S EMAIL CONTACT LIST?
- If a storm approaches, the Village will be sending out important pre- and post-storm information via email. Make sure you are on the list to receive information on the last scheduled pre-storm debris removal, the latest public safety information and important updates from the Village Manager before and after the storm.
- KEEP YOUR TREES PROPERLY TRIMMED.
- Trim the trees and branches that could hit your home in a storm, and keep them properly trimmed throughout hurricane season.
- CHECK YOUR SHUTTERS.
- Make sure your shutters operate properly. If you have panels, label where they go and make sure they fit properly. Double check to make sure you have all the hardware, screws, etc. needed to attach them.
- WHO WILL BE HERE TO PREPARE YOUR HOME?
- If you will not be in the Village during hurricane season, make plans now for someone to be responsible for preparing your home if a storm approaches.
- WHAT SUPPLIES WILL YOU WANT DURING A STORM?
- Don't wait until a storm approaches to purchase or find items that can be taken care of today. Here is a list of some items you can get today and keep stored away until you need them:
- Gas containers
- First aid kit
- Battery powered lights & extra batteries
- A generator
- Drinking water (one gallon per person, per day)
- Copies of important documents, such as insurance policies, birth certificates, social security cards, medical prescription information, inventory of valuables, etc.
- Battery powered radio
- Older model hard wired home phone that does not require electricity
- WHAT'S YOUR FAMILY PLAN?
- This is the time to make your family plan. Decide ahead of time where you can go if your home is damaged. Will you want to evacuate before the storm? The Village of Golf is not in a storm surge evacuation zone, but will you and your family still want to stay? Know where you can go. Public shelters for the Village are: Park Vista High School – 7900 Jog Road, Boynton Beach, and Atlantic Community High School – 2455 W. Atlantic Ave., Delray Beach. If you have a pet, you will need to go to a separate pet-friendly shelter.
FOR A MORE COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF SUGGESTED SUPPLIES, YOU CAN CLICK HERE FOR THE PALM BEACH COUNTY HURRICANE GUIDE.
As the Storm Approaches
If a Hurricane Watch is issued for our area, below are some preparation suggestions. The Village will provide updated information on debris & trash removal, public safety, and other important information. Make sure the Village has your correct email address to receive the information.
- PUT UP YOUR SHUTTERS.
- FILL UP YOUR CAR AND EXTRA FUEL CANS.
- CLEAR AWAY ANY LOOSE YARD DEBRIS.
- Make sure you know the last scheduled pick-ups for trash and yard debris. If you miss them, you CANNOT leave debris outside your home.
- SECURE ANY OUTSIDE FURNITURE, PLANTS, AND OTHER ITEMS THAT CAN BLOW AWAY.
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TWO WEEK SUPPLY OF NEEDED MEDICATIONS.
- CHECK YOUR BATTERIES AND WATER SUPPLIES.
- HAVE ENOUGH CASH TO LAST ONE WEEK.
- CHARGE YOUR CELL PHONES.
- FILL YOUR BATHTUBS WITH EXTRA WATER.
- DOUBLE CHECK YOUR IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS. PUT THEM IN A WATER-TIGHT CONTAINER.
- IF YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY KIT, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE IT IS, AND ALL THE ITEMS ARE UP TO DATE.
FOR A MORE COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF SUGGESTED PREPARATION, YOU CAN CLICK HERE FOR THE PALM BEACH COUNTY HURRICANE GUIDE.